Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weekly School Goals

A couple of weeks ago I began a new idea that is helping me so much I wanted to share it with you. It may be that I am unique in my lack of planning, but I doubt it. I’m sure there are many out there who are great planners and keepers of their plans, but not me. Not only do I not plan, but when I do have schedules it is too easy for me to rebel against my laid out wisdom. I thought I would try to just list out one week’s worth of goals in each subject. (The word goals makes me feel less rebellious than the word plans.) For each day of the week I listed what I wanted done in each subject. I did not include the kids’ math because they are able to do that without interference and if they get to something that challenges them I may stretch out the time in which they have to get it done. Each day I had only to look at my list and see my goal. I had no decisions to make about how much we would do in history or Latin; I did not wonder how far Henry was getting in his science work or decide what I wanted them to do for writing. The most amazing thing is that it took maybe 30 minutes to make the list. I got out all the books we work on and wrote down page numbers, etc. for each day, then put everything back on the shelf. I love it. One more thing, by only doing one week I can easily adjust for the unexpected. This last week I scheduled a full day every day, but we ended up going to my dad’s on Thursday and running some other errands which kept us out of the house all day. Friday we did Thursday’s work and Friday’s work will get put on Monday of next week. I have also planned too heavily in something or another and slowed our pace during the week in some subject, on Monday I’m right on track. I don’t have to worry about changing long term plans or finding a way to catch up. It has made my school days more calm and manageable. The best part is that I want to meet the goals and have been motivated to progress. I have always liked doing school work with the kids more than cleaning the house. If only I could find a similar solution for housework, but it requires something different that I have not yet discovered. I am always forcing myself and with a cheerless, ungrateful attitude. I will work on that, let me tell you. It is a terrible example to set and I do mean to change it. Sometimes we just have to pretend to have a good attitude and God helps the real thing to follow.

No comments: